Friday, July 31, 2009

Do you have PASSION?!

So I find myself sitting in my office at work, playing some seriously awesome air drums to 3 Doors Down, trying to get STK to do what I tell it (astrodynamics can be rough at times), and thinking about what the Lord has been speaking to me about lately.

For a while now I have been following NewSpring Church's podcast and when I am at school I even attend their web campus on Sunday mornings. I have fallen in love with NewSpring. Perry's sermons are funny and extremely challenging, which is exactly what I need (you can get to the podcast here Senior Pastor Perry Noble - NewSpring Church Video - NewSpring Church Video).

After watching this latest sermon (7/26/09 In Rhythm - Jump), this thought hit like a ton of bricks (I continually tell the Lord that if wants my attention, he's gotta hit me with a ton of bricks because otherwise I'm just clueless). I already serve at CFC in the Worship ministry as, as my good friend Ryan Yorde calls me, a tech amoeba. Basically, any tech job be it camera, stage hand, gopher I can do on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. I love serving because it allows me to really connect with the service and not be just a participant. But I have always been looking for more to do and to really help bring more people to Christ. After watching this sermon by Perry (which, in like one sentence is all about jumping into ministry and serving the body of Christ), the thought hit me. What this world needs is a generation, my generation, that is completely on fire for Christ and the way to accomplish this is to create a church or environment where young adults (older teens, twenty and thirty-somethings) can worship and get spiritually feed in a way they can connect with.
How do you create that environment? Find some people with a PASSION for Christ that aren't afraid of telling it exactly how it is! That's what this generation will respond to! We need an environment where this generation can come, worship as freely and passionately as they want, and hear relevant messages that challenge them. I don't see that in any of the church's in NoVA. I don't see a place where young adults can come, worship, hear a challenging message, and then leave motivated to radically change the world for Christ!

In one of his earlier messages, Perry challenged the congregation with this, "If you could do one thing in this life without fear of failure, what would it be?" Last week, I wouldn't have known how to answer that question. But today, I think I would say, "I'm going to help build a church that can minister to this lost generation".

Now let me be totally clear, I have no aspirations to preach or lead worship, or anything that puts me in front of hundreds possibly thousands of my peers. I can't help there, but there are other areas that I do have gifts in, such as tech and management. This can only work if a bunch of like-minded peers come together and combine our talents (Captain Planet style).

In the end I need some serious prayer warriors behind me. I'm still not totally convinced this is what the Lord wants me to do, but if you had told me a year ago that I would even be entertaining the idea of going into ministry, I would have laughed at you so hard something might have torn.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep praying about this and continue to try to get the satellite I launched to capture Mar's orbit.

Keep rockin!
Chris

1 comment:

Ryan Yorde said...

Quite a post! I hadnt thought of it that way before. I guess im going to have to go listen to Perry's sermon. Banana Sandwhich.